December 25, 2014

The Christmas market

Merry Christmas everybody. I'm waking up out of my food coma and with that, I want to share my last Christmas post for this year.
Often, when I meet someone, who isn't German but has visited Germany, I hear just how much they enjoyed the Christmas markets. Especially at this time of the year. And it is true, we are pretty spoilt with them. While Christmas shopping in crowded and overheated stores is certainly not my favorite thing to do, going to the Christmas markets after shopping or instead of shopping surely is. Did you know that the oldest market goes back to 1384? The main market is usually right in the city center, like the one in Hamburg. We didn't have any luck with snow this year. Quite the contrary, as it has been raining all day, every day for the past weeks. Not that this stops us from having some mulled wine though.

And let's not forget the food! I love me some bratwurst, sugar almonds, gingerbread and mushrooms. But also fish, potato fritters, chestnuts and chocolate covered fruits. I'm pretty much eating my way from one end of the market to the other.

As always, the Christmas markets close on December 24th. But I'm already missing the smell of mullet wine and the food. That's a big part of Christmas, no?

3 comments :

Gabrielle said...

The Christmas Markets look amazing.

Yvonne said...

They are a big part of Christmas over here.

Kimi von Bake it! said...

Huhu Yvonne,
dieses Jahr war ich gar nicht auf dem Hamburger Weihnachtsmarkt in der City. Mit nem kleinen Kind ist es irgendwie so stressig. Wir haben uns auf den kleineren Weihnachtsmärkten trotzdem den Bauch mit Bratwürstchen, Schmalzgebäck und Glühwein vollgeschlagen :-D
Wir hatten ja wirklich Pech mit dem Schnee. Ich glaube, dass wir hier die einzigen waren, die keinen hatten.
Richtig schöne Bilder vom Weihnachtsmarkt hast du gemacht, dass ich fast schon ein bisschen traurig bin, dass wir doch nicht da gewesen waren.
Hab noch einen schönen Sonntagabend!
Liebe Grüße!